11 June 2007

A Step Too Far?


GPS devices are working their way into all aspects of life these days but I can't help but think that this Spanish company has taken a step too far.

From what I can make out from their website the system they sell uses satellite technology to enable football coaches to track the positions of individual players on the pitch, producing a map of the areas they have covered, distances travelled, and distances from preset points. You can even set alarm states for players failing to cover a predetermined distance during the game.

All the info can be viewed on a laptop or even a pda...

This kind of thing might, at a stretch, interest some of the more scientifically bent football managers such as Arsene Wenger but I can't see it doing much to float Sir Alex Ferguson's boat.

The device doesn't seem to be able to detect flair, vision or the eye for goal that makes truly great players great and I would hate to see what the printouts would look like for my team of under 9's.

I don't think I will be pestering the club chairman for funds to buy this one...

Link : Real Track Football

3 comments:

Groanin' Jock said...

I don't think that device would be much use when either of us is playing five-a-side - there's so little movement involved there that the device would probably go into standby mode.

the tomahawk kid said...

Couldn't agree more. I have an excuse though, being an aged overweight gentleman with dodgy knees, - what's yours?

Groanin' Jock said...

As my Lovenkrands-esque pace has deserted me (curiously, in almost direct proportion to the rate at which my waistline has expanded), I have developed a Gascoigne-like ability on the ball. In fact, my distribution and use of the ball has become so faultless, that movement is unnecessary....