19 April 2007

Dutch Prog Rock Madness

Many years ago, in the years b.c. (before Clash), say around 1974/75, a good friend of mine bought an album by the Dutch prog rock band Alquin. This was back in the time when the more obscure the album you had the cooler you were.

The album was called The Mountain Queen and as I recall I only ever listened to it once, just after Iain had brought it home.

I remember that I wasn't too impressed with the music, and wasn't too keen on the vocals, but to this day clearly recall joking about a lyric that I found bizarre.

The line went :
"I thought I saw a coloured leaf,
floating upwards to the tree,
but no,
................it was a butterfly".

Yesterday I managed to get hold of a download of this album and I have listened to it all the way through, twice.

I actually found the music to have stood up quite well. It is very much of its time, lots of keyboards, saxophone, clattering drums, strange time signatures, and a couple of tracks running about the 20 minute mark - however the guitar playing on it is very good and the overall sound is quite enjoyable.

There is one slight problem.

I haven't heard the line about the butterfly...

I am going to have to listen to the whole thing all the way through again in case I missed it, but I am now starting to think that it may just have been a line on the album sleeve.

I have had this lyric in my head for over 30 years and now it seems to have vanished, or maybe it never existed in the first place and I am just a bit of a maddie...

Are there any passing Dutch Prog Rock experts reading this that could help put me out of my misery???

Alsjeblieft!

No comments: