15 April 2007

Now Luka Here

Coming back from the football game today, which the boys narrowly lost, this tune came on the magic tune box.

Released as a single almost 20 years ago now, Luka by Suzanne Vega is a fantastically moving song about an abused boy who lives upstairs in her apartment block. She explained in interviews that she based the song on a boy called Luka who "just seemed set apart from these other children that I would see playing", however she had no reason to believe that the boy was abused in real life.

I have loved this song from the time it was released, something about the combination of the voice and the guitar breaks brings me close to tears every time I hear it (yes, I know I am a big softy...).

I went to see Suzanne Vega in concert in Glasgow when she toured to promote the Solitude Standing album that this track features on. I remember that she seemed to be a bit introverted and uptight when she initially came on stage but as the concert progressed she seemed to warm to the audience and it turned into a very good gig.

The video for the song is interesting, mixing stark black and white footage with some unexpected, impressionistic interludes.

Enjoy, but don't forget the Luka's out there...

No comments: