23 August 2007

Scotland, South Africa, And The Torn Faced Old Git

Took the wee fella to Pittodrie to see some international football action last night, Scotland v South Africa.

We entered the back of the stand and tried to find our seats. We quickly identified that we were sitting in the back row and were at the end of the row.

I checked the seat number for the vacant seat at the end of the row.

"This will be where we are sitting wee man, yep, this seat is number 11" I said, checking the seat number.

"Aye, and this is number 10" piped up the elderly gentleman who together with his grandson were occupying the adjacent two seats.

"Good" I replied politely and with a smile "That will be my seat then"

The elderly gent torn faced old git then came out with what is an unfortunately common opening gambit in these parts, "Ah dinnae think so!"

Sighing, but still managing to force a smile, I produced my tickets and showed him, "Here's my tickets. As you can see I have Row Y seats ten and eleven".

Still torn faced he produces his crumpled tickets from his pocket and, with the air of someone explaining a simple fact to a retarded child, waved them under my nose saying "Well look, I have Row Y, seats nine and te....uh....er....eight........move along son"

Shuffles along to next seat, no word of apology, spends the whole game pretending we don't exist. Twat!

As for the game, it was probably the most tedious 90 minutes of football I have ever watched. South Africa moved the ball about well without really threatening to score whilst Scotland were hopeless except for the one moment of inspiration when they scored.

Out of all the football he has watched the wee fella says he still prefers watching Dumbarton. Poor bugger.

No comments: