7 September 2007

Jock Rock #2 : Otherworldly Sounds From Grangemouth

The Cocteau Twins with Heaven or Las Vegas from the album of the same name.

This is especially for Big Rab who thinks that the Cocteaus are art school pish... nothing could be further from the truth...I don't think they went to art school...

The truth is that The Cocteau Twins have turned out to be extremely influencial. You can hear echoes of their atmospheric soundscapes allied with strange vocalisations in the work of many other bands to this day.





The Cocteaus on Wikipedia.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Aye my musical opinions are indeed subjective!

I don't know what it is about the Cocteau Twins and another critically much loved band of the same era the Associates but I cannot physically listen to them. The same goes for Camera Obscura and of course the White Stripes.

I wish I did like them because many of my friends who are in to music are and I would normally respect their opinion.

Unfortunately the aforementioned are to me simply an unbearable racket.

You're going to tell me Sigur Ros named the Cocteau Twins as an influence or something aren't you?

the tomahawk kid said...

Apparently they don't see it...

"Sigur Ros's influences are rarely what you'd expect. When Agætis Byrjun was widely compared to the Cocteau Twins, they had to buy one of the band's CDs to find out what they sounded like; they didn't see the connection."

I do.

Unknown said...

I've done a piece on my Cocteaus loathing on my blog.

Funny I have a very fine line love-hate thing with Sigur Ros. I have to be in the mood.

Groanin' Jock said...

I do like the Cocteau Twins, but like Rab with Sigur Ros, need to be in a certain kind of mood. I actually prefer Liz Fraser's work with Massive Attack.