20 September 2007

Soundtrack Of My Life



My good buddy Groanin' Jock posted on this the other day and was interested to see what my answers would be. So, I thought I had better give it a go.

What music are you currently grooving to?

Not exactly grooving, more waddling about like a fat Fabrizio Ravanelli...

All sorts really : currently checking out the new KT Tunstall, Dr Alimontado, Amy Winehouse, Stephen Stills, plus lots of random stuff off the iPod.

What, if push comes to shove, is your all-time favourite album?

This is difficult as there is so much good music out there and what I want to listen to changes so much with my mood - I am so much more into random tracks from my collection at the moment.

As a musical offering though I think you would be hard pushed to beat Electric Ladyland by Jimi Hendrix. This has everything from short poppy songs to longer less structured sound pieces - plus some of the best guitar playing you will ever hear.

What was the first record you ever bought? And where did you buy it?

The first record I ever bought was the single 'Son Of My Father' by Chicory Tip back in 1972. This was notably one of the first hit singles to feature the Moog synthesiser so it sounded really futuristic to my young ears (and the band looked great - see above, ha ha).

I reckon I must have bought this single at Taylors Music Store in Helensburgh. This was a fabulously old fashioned establishment that concentrated on selling musical instruments and sheet music. They only stocked singles that were in the charts and I seem to recall that these were not on display, to allow browsing through, but instead were kept in a little box behind the counter.

The shop owner would offer to order up anything you desired if he did not have it in stock but I have hazy memories of this being a rather tortuous process involving writing details into one of those order books with the sheet of carbon paper in, and extremely vague delivery times that meant you had to visit the shop about fifteen times to check if your order was in.

Which musician have you ever wanted to be?

I wish I had the talent to just pick up the guitar and play stuff. I mess around sometimes and make a noise but I know I'm not inherently musical.

When I was young I always wanted to be Keith Richards, just 'cos he had that real rock'n'roll swagger, you know. The bugger is still going strong despite living a lifestyle that would, and did, kill lesser men. He's still rocking and is still pretty cool. He may look like he has been dead for years but he is still the human riff and long may he continue.

What do you sing in the shower?

I don't tend to do this a lot. I have a glass shower screen and want to keep it in one piece.

Have been known to try my rendition of Delilah - the Alex Harvey version rather than Tom Jones, far more madness and menace in the delivery.

What is your favourite Saturday night record?

Saturday nights have long since stopped meaning anything special in the TK household, however in the spirit of the question probably something with fairly loud guitars on it - Sweet Child Of Mine usually hits the spot.

And your Sunday morning record?

Sunday morning now equals kids football so goes past in a hectic blur.

If I did have the time to sit and chill I would probably put on something like Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue.

No comments: